Sunday 31 March 2013

Living with UC in Social Gatherings


I grew up with many allergies- I'm talking about having a list of things I COULD eat, not what I couldn't. Nothing was worse than when I finally got it down to only having a few allergies to worry about (peanuts, crab and raw egg) I was told: "Hey guess what? now you can't have grains, starches or sugars!"
I know that eating out while on SCD can be difficult- going to BBQs or social gatherings without being prepared with a snack pack in your purse can make even the most faithful SCDer lean in the wrong direction (and believe me, you may pay for it later!)

For me, I have a hard time saying "NO" without feeling like I'm imposing or being rude. Sure, close friends and family will know about your allergies/dietary needs- but at a work/social event where you don't know them too well, it can get unnerving telling your story to every person trying to feed you. You never want to seem rude and picky while asking: "Sorry- what's in that?"

So- with that being said- it is best to prepare for these situations:

1) Always have a water bottle.I love my glass water bottle- this should be on everyone's going out list- but very important for allergy/SCDers. I take it with me everywhere and at group functions you will have less awkward conversations about why you are not having any of the wine or punch. (or worse yet- someone keeps handing you some!) Drinks can be the worst because we forget that there can be grains (beer) starches and sugars (coolers, punch, juice etc) because it isn't food. Water is always the safest and best option.

2) Bring a trail mix or snack in your purse/bag.
I don't know how many times I've been at an impromtu party/social event staring at the food in envious dismay. Sometimes you just sit by the food so you can live vicariously through the snackers around you. This can be dangerous- the "One little bite can't hurt me" fairy pops into your mind and poof! there you go cheating again!

Stop that fairy before its too late! bring a snack or better yet (at a dinner function) your own plate. Look for vegetable/fruit trays if you have to munch- be careful with fruit in case it is covered in sugars without your knowledge (fruit salads, etc.)

3) Inform Others
This is the hardest part for me. I always tell myself (incorrectly) that it's rude or imposing to bother your host about your allergies. Nobody wants someone to go out of their way to scramble in their kitchen for something you can eat. If you know this person (family, friend, co-worker) before the event- let them know about your diet. This doesn't mean they have to change the whole menu or even make anything specially for you: This gesture will be greatly appreciated and will stop unnecessary confusion during the social gathering. If a host knows you are bringing your own food or actual medical reasons, they will not be insulted you did not try their grandmother's pudding recipe (I can not speak for gramma though!)

If you do not know the host personally (ie: your mate's boss/co-worker etc.) Ask for them to speak to the host on your behalf. If you cannot discuss this with them prior to the function, you are going to have to politely tell them about your allergies/diet.

4) Don't be ashamed of your diet
This is the number one thing!

You are feeling healthier, livelier and eating healthy delicious foods- just because you may have to discuss your diet with others doesn't have to be a negative thing- in fact, they may know someone who would benefit from this diet! (including themselves!) Think about when you first learnt about SCD- how wonderful would it be to spread the word to others to help them? so walk tall and stand proud of your diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment